Register for Digital Look

Falcon upbeat on spudding of well at Kyalla Formation

By Josh White

Date: Wednesday 09 Oct 2019

Falcon upbeat on spudding of well at Kyalla Formation

(Sharecast News) - Falcon Oil & Gas announced the spudding of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 appraisal well in the Beetaloo Sub-Basin, Australia on Wednesday, which was the first well in the stage 2 drilling programme to target the Kyalla shale liquids-rich gas play.
The AIM-traded firm said the well was located within Exploration Permit 117, around 32 kilometres north of the Beetaloo W-1 well.

It explained that a vertical pilot hole would target a total vertical depth of approximately 1,750 metres into the Kyalla Formation, with a subsequent horizontal section planned for around 1,000 metres that would be drilled, completed, stimulated and production tested in the prospective Kyalla shale reservoir interval.

Origin Energy B2, as operator, would drill the Kyalla 117 N2-1 well.

Falcon explained that Origin held a participating interest of 70%, and Falcon Oil & Gas Australia holding the other 30% participating interest over the Beetaloo Exploration Permits 76, 98 and 117.

The primary objectives for the drilling of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 well were to penetrate the Kyalla Formation to assess hydrocarbon maturity, saturation and reservoir quality.

It was also intended to provide further information on the areal distribution of the Kyalla Formation, and collect data for subsequent horizontal drilling, completion, stimulation and production testing; including ability to flow liquids-rich gas.

Formation evaluation, including reservoir characterisation, would be carried out through petrophysical interpretation, geo-mechanical studies and core analysis.

"The spudding of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 appraisal well is an exciting development for Falcon and marks the re-commencement of the drilling programme with our joint venture partner," said the company's chief executive Philip O'Quigley.

"We look forward to updating the market as soon as results become available."


Email this article to a friend

or share it with one of these popular networks:

Top of Page