Portfolio

Carnival extends pause on cruises from US ports

By Michele Maatouk

Date: Wednesday 05 Aug 2020

Carnival extends pause on cruises from US ports

(Sharecast News) - Carnival said on Wednesday that it will extend the pause of cruises setting off from US ports until the end of October due to the coronavirus pandemic, in line with the decision announced earlier by the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA).
The company, which owns AIDA Cruises, Costa Cruises, Princess Cruises, P&O and Cunard, said guests are being offered an enhanced value package of a future cruise credit and onboard credit, or a full refund.

"If conditions in the US change and short and modified sailings are possible, the industry may consider an earlier restart, and we would consider that as well," it said. "In the meantime, we will continue to work with public health and government officials to finalise enhanced health and sanitation protocols and procedures that will guide our eventual return to service."

The CLIA said in a statement earlier that its members had agreed to voluntarily suspend US cruise operations until at least the end of October.

"Despite the valuable alignment between CLIA's previous voluntary suspension to 15 September and the CDC's current No-Sail Order date of 30 September, we believe it is prudent at this time to voluntarily extend the suspension of US ocean-going cruise operations to 31 October," it said.

"This is a difficult decision as we recognise the crushing impact that this pandemic has had on our community and every other industry. However, we believe this proactive action further demonstrates the cruise industry's commitment to public health and willingness to voluntarily suspend operations in the interest of public health and safety, as has occurred twice prior."

..

Email this article to a friend

or share it with one of these popular networks:


Top of Page